Demystifying Hospitalist Medicine
The 8-hour seminar focuses on the acute problems facing hospitalist medicine.
After working the last 6 years as a nocturnal hospitalist ("nocturnist") and teaching hospital based medicine, I have developed keys to understanding the diagnosis, therapeutics and clinical dilemmas facing midlevel's in hospitalist medicine.
- What's the one critical question you must answer about anemia 100% of the time?
- The biggest error in the evaluation of hyponatremia.
- What's the single best predictor that your patient is going to die during your shift.
- The secrets of acidosis taught only in medical school.
- The 9 causes of sinus tachycardia you must learn and the one, that if missed, will BURN you!
- This electrolyte kills more than all other electrolytes combined.
- Where's the major malfunction? Understanding Renal Functions.
- Death of tissue or biliary blockage? Mastering the 5Liver Function Tests.
- Does elevation really matter? Demystify the pancreatic enzymes.
- How to decode blood clotting; evaluating platelets and the clotting cascade.
- The four nasty, dirty bugs we deal with daily. Getting to know Clostridium.
- The 6 gram positive bugs that every good clinician can identify.
- They all need this badly! The general management of all pulmonary patients.
- Panting. Speechless. Sleepy. He's going to die. How do we diagnose the patient in respiratory acidosis.
- How to ID the decompensating pulmonary patient early.
- Is he "blue" or "sleepy?" How to understand the difference between hypoxia and hypercarbia?
- Understand the 4 critical secrets of the pulmonary patient that express severity of disease.
- Learn a reproducible and effective system to evaluate a chest XRAY.
- Diagnosis and treatment of Congestive Heart Failure: Where's the money?
- You have to handle an airway obstruction with "T.L.C.!"
- How to treat severe Asthma and provide life saving treatments.
- Understand the 3 different radiographic presentation of pneumonia.
- Fend off the grim reaper: secrets to diagnosing pulmonary embolism.
- Learn 4 secrets to immediately sharpen your EKG skills.
- Why are 25% of myocardial infarctions missed? Will you fall into this trap?
- The 10 questions to a perfect HPI.
- This deadly disorder presents EXACTLY like bronchitis. Will you get burned?
- If you miss this subtle EKG change, your patient is going to die. Ischemia.
Case Study: I missed an EKG finding that ended in tragedy. We live with our mistakes.
- Master the 5 deadly causes of chest pain.
- Learn the "two safety nets" of EKG interpretation.
- Of the 6 causes of ST segment elevation, 2 will kill your patient in less the 5 minutes.
- Gain the respect of cardiologists by understanding the BEST way to identify ST segment elevation.
- Understand the 4 tricks to recalling ST segment depression.
Session 4) Demystifying Cardiac (ALS) Pharmacology
- How adrenalin works to save our lives, and how to harness that response with medications.
- How our bodies responds after sex, and how that can lead to our death. This is key to understand heart blocks.
- After planning the "attack on a compound," understanding the electrolyte flow has never been easier.
- This has killed more then all others combined: electrolyte disasters and how to treat them.
- The absolute best medication to treat acute coronary syndromes as well as congestive heart failure
- Learn secrets of advanced life support in the hospital setting, to include the New PEA Pyramid